When you’re trying to get pregnant and you’re doing all the right things to increase your fertility, then the thought of trip away can create anxiety because you don’t want to undo all the good work.
You might worry about your routine changing, eating differently, your fertility hormones getting messed up, ovulating at a different time and your fertility window changing.
I’m going to show you some tips on how you can minimise disruption to your hormones, what to do when you fly, how to handle jetlag and what to do about eating when you’re away from home.
If you plan and implement some of these strategies then you will balance your hormones, reduce stress and maximise your fertility. Taking these small and easy steps can help you to relax, enjoy your time away and increase your chances of getting pregnant.
When you’re away from home it’s especially important to practice the 80/20 principle. Try to make healthy choices that boost your fertility 80% of the time. And know that there will be times when you can’t eat, exercise or stick to the same routines that you would normally do at home.
Enjoy the 20% of the time that you go off-piste. A relaxed mindset around this is important because if we try too hard to be healthy, then we can feel stuck and stressed. And we know that stress hormones disrupt fertility hormones.
If you’re used to eating natural, fresh, organic and probiotic food, then it can be a challenge when you go away. It’s difficult to get organic food and hard to know what kinds of fats, toxins or GMO is in your food.
- Pack food to take with you. On my last trip abroad I ended up filling half of my case with food. It meant I had supplies of organic tea, oat biscuits, muesli, nut butter, sauerkraut, smoothies, nuts, mackerel and quinoa.
- When you get to your destination find a whole food shop.
- When you’re eating out make the healthiest choice you can.
- If you’re eating at a friend’s house then you can let them know ahead of time what you eat and what you don’t.
When you take a long haul flight, it can disrupt your fertility hormones and cause you to ovulate differently and this can change your fertility window. It can cause you to have an early period, a late period or skip a month completely. It’s important to be aware of this when you fly and expect that your cycle will be different.
- If you’re taking your body basal temperature and measuring your cycle then be sure to use a calculator to make the time changes. Or just discount the readings when you are travelling through different time zones.
- Have sex outside of your normal fertility window because it is likely to be different.
- Get plenty of rest to make up for the stress of flying and missed sleep.
Flying can affect your body in many ways. The air is very dry and this dehydrates you. You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold because viruses thrive in low humidity. At altitude, your digestive system shuts down and stops working. Gas gets stuck within your body and can cause bloating and pain in your belly. And the air pressure squeezes your organs.
- Eat a nutritious meal two hours before you get on a flight and then fast while you fly. Your belly and bowels will thank you for not eating.
- Avoid drinking alcohol because it will dehydrate you even further. Drink plenty of water.
- Sleep as much as you can on the flight. And even if you can’t sleep close your eyes and keep your body calm and relaxed by breathing deeply and slowly.
- Use a nasal salt spray to flush any viruses out of your nose immediately after your flight.
Jetlag can throw your body, hormones and sleep out of balance for days. To reduce jetlag and balance your hormones then there are certain acupressure points that you can press to help you to adjust to the new time zone. In Chinese Medicine, there is a 24-hour body clock system where it is believed that each organ has a two hour period that it is most active. And if you press an acupressure point for this organ, it acts as a reset button for your body clock.
- Just before you get on your flight change the time on your watch to the time zone that you are travelling to.
- Press the acupressure point that corresponds to the time zone that you are travelling to. And this resets your body to the new time zone.
- Find out exactly how to do this here: Minimise jetlag by resetting your body clock with acupressure
Leave me comments below and let me know if you have any travel tips to take care of your fertility. Bon voyage!
All my best,
Rachel Bolton BSc (Hons), Lic. Ac., Lic. Tui Na.
I empower women to see themselves as Fertility Heroes and help them to optimise their fertility, get pregnant and have healthy babies.
Whenever you're ready...here are 3 ways I can help you.
1. Join the private Facebook group: Fertility Heroes. Get fertility tips, community and inspiration. Only the women in the group will know you've joined and see your posts.
2. Take the Quiz: Which Fertility Hero Are You? Discover your superpowers, kryptonite and get your 3-point fertility formula.
3. Complete the Checklist: Why Am I Not Pregnant Yet? Find out what is missing from your fertility and get a new strategy.
Compare Travel Insurance (2018). Retrieved from: https://www.comparetravelinsurance.com.au/travel-insurance-tips/what-happens-to-body-on-flight
Golob, M. (2011). Minimize Jetlag By Resetting The Body Clock With Acupressure. Retrieved from: http://www.golobphysicaltherapy.com/images/acupressure_for_jetlag_copy_of_print_version.pdf
Spinks R. (2018). The Complete Guide To Travelling With A Uterus. Retrieved from: https://quartzy.qz.com/1176552/how-does-frequent-flying-affect-menstruation-and-fertility/
Image Retrieved from: https://flic.kr/p/CQpEqK